加文·海恩斯, 国际纵横:前东德曾以囚犯换西德马克. BBC Chinese,Nov 8, 2014
www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/worl ... any_prisoners_trade

, which is translated from

Gavin Haines, East Germany's trade in human beings. BBC, Nov 5, 2014
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29889706

Note:
(a)
(i) Gavin Haines is male.

Postcards; The world through the eyes of Gavin Haines.
www.gavinhaines.com
(ii) The English surname Haynes (Haines being a variant): the “ay” is pronounced the same as the vowel in “eight.”

(b) “Daniela Walther recalls the night she was caught trying to flee East Berlin. It was 13 August 1961. She was five years old.“
(i) The German and Dutch (also found in Sweden and Denmark) surname Walther: “variant of Walter”
(ii) In German pronunciation, "th" is pronounced the same as "t." See table 1 in
German for Beginners: Pronunciation - Aussprache (Part 3). About.com, undated. german.about.com/library/anfang/blanfang_abc3.htm
(iii) German English dictionary:
aussprache (noun feminine): "pronunciation”
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Aussprache

(c) "My father told us where to go, where we would try to cross, and we waited for him in this allotment. We stayed there on the night of 11 August, sleeping in somebody's shed. I remember my mother agonising and telling me to be quiet. I felt afraid."
(i) BBC translation is simply: 普利茨向妻子详细谈了他的逃离计划。母女俩首先到一个公园里躲藏一夜,等到第二天晚上
(ii) allotment (n): “(British) a small piece of usually public land rented by an individual for cultivation”
www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... owCookiePolicy=true
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 11-8-2014 09:29:03 | 只看该作者
(d)
(i) “Walther was sent to live with her grandparents in the village of Stockhausen.

"Being the daughter of someone who tried to cross the border was worse than being the daughter of a murderer," she says.

"’My grandparents said: “If anyone asks, tell them you're the daughter of Lilo,” who was my aunt in West Germany.’

“Walther adjusted quickly to her new life. ‘I was actually very happy. My grandparents had lots of animals, including a dog, and because of collectivisation everything was open - there was no private land or fences - so I used to go off exploring.’

“Walther even taught herself to ski. ‘I found my father's skis, which were far too big for me, and I learned to ski in the orchard - which was probably quite dangerous,’ she says.

“When her mother was released from prison the pair moved to Potsdam, where their relationship became fraught. ‘My mother was really quite unstable,’ recalls Walther. She distracted herself by enrolling in the army's horse acrobatics team, and performing in the breaks at equestrian events.

(ii) BBC translation omits quite a few paragraphs. Indeed, as a whole the English original is better, much better, than the translation.

“丹妮拉被送到斯托克豪森(Stockhausen)一个乡村的祖父母家,妈妈因犯有协助他人企图逃离罪,被监禁了9个月。

“丹妮拉很快适应了在祖父母家的生活。’因为当时是公有制,没有私人土地或围栏,我可以到处溜达,我的生活很愉快”。母亲出狱后带丹妮拉移居到波茨坦(Potsdam),但两人关系不好。’妈妈精神状态事实上很不稳定,她加入军队马术团调节情绪。’
(iii) It is quite clear in the English version that in the sentence “She distracted herself by enrolling in the army's horse acrobatics team, and performing in the breaks at equestrian events,” the “she” refers to Daniela Walther (the daughter), rather than the mother (as translation indicates).
(iv) The German surname Stockhausen is from name of “several places so called.”
Dictionary of American Family Names
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

板凳
 楼主| 发表于 11-8-2014 09:29:40 | 只看该作者
(e) “By 1964 the fiscal situation had become so dire that the authorities developed a scheme to sell political prisoners to West Germany. They called it haeftlingsfreikauf.”
(i) The last sentence is not translated, either (understandably so).
(ii) haeftlingsfreikauf
* haeftling (noun masculine; plural: haeftlinge): “detainee, jailbird (colloquial)”
* freikauf (n): “free shopping”
* frei (adj): “free”
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frei
* kauf (noun masculine): “purchase”
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kauf
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

4#
 楼主| 发表于 11-8-2014 09:30:29 | 只看该作者
(f)
(i) “historian and author, Andreas Apelt”

There is no English Wiki page for him, but there is a German one. Here is HIS (a man) personal website: Andreas H Apelt
andreas-apelt.de/2.html
(ii) “So the operation remained clandestine - people were * * * sent across the border in buses with revolving license plates. The number plates would switch at the checkpoints, so as not to arouse suspicion on the other side.”

The translation--载着囚犯的大轿车的车牌到西德后给转换,以掩人耳目--does not convey the meaning of “revolving” license plate, which is like a revolving door. The license plate was not removed and replaced.
(iii) "’I really didn't want to go - I wanted to stay in East Germany with my grandparents - but the deal was for wife and daughter,’ she says. ‘I think they paid 100,000 Deutschmarks for us.’"   

The deal was for “wife and daughter”--excluding grandparents. But the translation--我不想去,我觉得在祖父母家很好,好像谈好的价格是10万西德马克,包括妈妈和我--does not tell that.
(iv) “The two of them were taken across the border via Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, a railway station on the frontier between East and West Berlin. It was 1969 and Daniela was 13 years old.”

German English dictionary
* bahnhof (noun masculine): “train station [shortened from eisenbahnhof, where eisen = iron]”
(In German: busbahnhof = bus station)
* bahn (noun feminine): “path, way”
* hof (noun masculine): “courtyard, yard”
* straße (noun feminine): “road”   

Friedrichstraße
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrichstraße
(giving the name to Berlin Friedrichstraße station)
(v) "’My father was waiting for us on the other side. I didn't recognise him, which was very painful for him. He was crying.’ Having been so young when they were separated, Walther felt more upset about losing her friend [Gudrun].”

The translation--爸爸在另一边等候,但是我认不出他来。爸爸再也忍不住了,哭了起来--does not explain PRECISELY why her father cried.
(vi) “‘My language teacher [in West Germany] told me I would never get to grips with English. Determined to prove her teacher wrong, Walther persuaded her father to pay for her to attend a language school in the UK. ‘I was the apple of his eye - he would have done anything for me,’ she says. So in 1972 Walther arrived in the UK and before long went on to study languages at Goldsmiths College in London. In her second year she met her husband, Bill"
(A) translation: 外语老师还断言,我肯定学不会英语。’我劝说爸爸送我到英国学英语。因为我是他的掌上明珠,他最终答应了。’  在语言学校毕业后,丹妮拉继续在英国升学,并与英国人比尔结婚
(B) The translation does not say her motive to go to a language school in UK.
(C) Goldsmiths, University of London
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsmiths,_University_of_London
(public; section 1 History)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表