查看: 1063|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

White House Aide and Department of State Offical on Senkaku

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 9-25-2010 10:03:03 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

The SAME day (Sept. 23, 2010) following comments by US defense secretary and secretary of state.

(1) Press Briefing by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Asian Affairs Jeff Bader, and Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes. White House Office of the Press Secretary, Sept. 23, 2010, at Waldorf-Astoria, New York, New York.*
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/09/23/press-briefing-press-secretary-robert-gibbs-special-assistant-president-

* Pres. Obama and premier Wen met at New York City on the sideline of United Nations meeting.

Reporters asked about Senkaku islands in three separate occasions at the briefing.  

"Q    I just want to make -- clarify that the two leaders did not talk about East China Sea?

"MR. BADER:  That’s correct.  No, I’m sorry, they talked about -- briefly about the South China Sea.  They did.

"Q    Yes, but I’m talking about East China and the Senkaku island.

"MR. BADER:  They did not.
"Q    Could I just follow up briefly on the -- with Mr. Bader -- on the East China Sea incident?  You mentioned it did not come up -- on the Senkakus -- it did not come up in the meeting today, but I believe you also mentioned that both sides have brought the issue up.  Could you say at what level the Chinese, then, have brought it up with the U.S.?

"MR. BADER:  That’s correct, that the issue did not come up in the meeting with Premier Wen today.  The issue has been raised diplomatically by Chinese and Japanese senior officials with the U.S. side.  Really since the incident first occurred, there have been a number of approaches at senior levels, but not at the level of the President.
"Q    I have a question to Mr. Bader.  In the meeting, they talked about their -- you said they talked about South China Sea, but not Senkaku Islands and also East China Sea.  So what is the difference between them, between two issues, from the U.S. perspective?

"MR. BADER:  What is the difference between?

"Q    Between the South China Sea dispute and also between -- on the Senkaku Islands?

"MR. BADER:  Well, you’ve correctly summarized what was discussed.  Senkaku Islands was not discussed, South China Sea was discussed and the Yellow Sea was not discussed.  There are a lot of maritime issues that have been on the agenda for the last few months.

"Q    Jeff, just quickly, apparently the Japanese are saying that Hillary Clinton said today that the issue between China and Japan, this island dispute, and the territorial dispute, would fall under a U.S. treaty.

"Now, I know that no one expects this right now to escalate out of control, but could you kind of sort that out?  I mean, would you expect that if this were to escalate into a military confrontation -- and, again, I’m not saying anybody is expecting that -- but how do you come down on this right now?  I mean, it does leave you in a vulnerable position.

"MR. BADER:  We have no expectation that this dispute is going to escalate to that kind of a level, and so that’s -- that’s very quite hypothetical.

"What the Japanese are referring to is a longstanding U.S. position, which is, number one, we do not take a position on the respective territorial claims of China and Japan towards the Senkaku Islands.  But number two, the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty covers all areas administered by Japan, and since the reversion of Okinawa to -- from the U.S. to Japan in 1972, the Senkaku Islands have been administered by Japan, so that is what that is a reference to.  But we have no expectation in any known universe that this would escalate to that kind of a level.

(2) P.J. Crowley, Remarks to the Press. State Department, Sept. 23, 2010.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/09/147836.htm

The teleconference is about US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's bilaterals with foreign ministers of Iraq and Afghanistan, respectively. Then Q & A:

"OPERATOR: Thank you. Next we have Betty Lin from World Journal. Your line is open.

"QUESTION: Hi, thank you. Yeah, I’d like you to clarify, if the U.S.-Japan defense treaty covered the Senkaku Islands (inaudible)?

"MR. CROWLEY: Okay. Is there a specific question?

"QUESTION: Is the U.S.-Japan defense treaty covering the Senkaku Islands?

"MR. CROWLEY: The – well, I think it’s important – if you read the transcript of the White House press briefing today, I thought Jeff Bader went through this in some detail and laid out the U.S. position. We do believe that because the Senkaku Islands are under Japanese jurisdiction, that it is covered by the U.S.-Japan security treaty.

"That said, we also stress that we don’t take a position on the sovereignty of the Senkaku Islands, but recognize current Japanese jurisdiction stemming back to the reversion of Okinawa to Japan. But Jeff made a good point, I think, that – it’s worth repeating, that that said, we do not envision that this current tension will rise to that level in any foreseeable scenario that we would envision.
"QUESTION: (Laughter.) I just want to go off topic – not as far as Japan – but what’s the status of the moratorium negotiations? There’s – it looks like there’s been – there may have been a little bit of movement on that, the settlement moratorium.

(3) John Pomfret, In China, officials in tug of war to shape foreign policy. Washington POst, Sept. 24, 2010.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/23/AR2010092306843.html

Quote:

"Washington signaled to Beijing on Thursday that it would back Japan in the territorial dispute. Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters: 'Obviously we're very, very strongly in support of . . . our ally in that region, Japan.'

"President Hu Jintao has led the Communist Party for eight years, but it is not clear that he has ever been fully in control.

Note:
(a) Huang Ping, director of Institute for American Studies
中国社会科学院美国研究所所长 黄平
http://www.sociology.cass.cn/pws/huangping/default.htm

(b) Cui Tiankai 崔天凱
(c) The report states, "'This is a time when the Chinese government is weak,' said Shen Dingli, the executive dean of the Center for American Studies at Fudan University in Shanghai.

That is 复旦大学美国研究中心主任沈丁立.
(d) Dai Bingguo 戴秉国 State Councilor since 2008 国务委员
(e) supremo (n; Spanish & Italian supremo, adjective, supreme, from Latin supremus): "chiefly British : one who is highest in rank or authority"

All definitions are from www.m-w.com.
(f) The report says, "Not all of the military statements went over well in China."

go over (vi): "to be received <the film went over well>"

(g) Wu Jianmin 吴建民
(h) Chu Shulong 楚树龙
(i) verve (n; ultimately from Latin verbum word): "ENERGY, VITALITY"

--------------------------------Separately
Edward Wong, China's Disputes in Asia Buttress Influence of US; A Countervailing Force; Beijing's Neighbors See Need for Military Ally and Intermediary. New York Times, Sept. 23, 2010.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/world/asia/23china.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=china%20wong%20asean&st=cse

Note:
(a) atmospherics (n): "actions (as official statements) intended to create or suggest a particular ATMOSPHERE or mood in politics and especially international relations; also : the mood so created or suggested"
(b) Huang Jing
新加坡国立大学李光耀公共政策学院的东亚问题专家 黄靖
(c) Feng Zhaokui 冯昭奎

For "nurture a coalition against China," see
冯昭奎, 警惕美国为中国精心设计的陷阱. Huanqiu, Aug. 18, 2010.
http://opinion.huanqiu.com/roll/2010-08/1023405.html
("美国为中国量身定做的第三个陷阱,就是通过激发中国强化自卫反应,来反诬中国军力'威胁'邻国,恶化中国周边环境,诱使中国近邻诸国与美国联手,甚至妄图构筑围堵中国的包围圈")
(d) Yang Yi 杨毅

The NYT report quotes him as saying: on one hand, Washington “wants China to play a role in regional security issues. On the other hand, it is engaging in an increasingly tight encirclement of China and is constantly challenging China’s core interests.”

杨毅, 是中国反应过度,还是美国无端指责?. 解放军报, Aug. 13, 2010.
http://military.people.com.cn/GB/42969/58520/12431039.html
("美国无视中美两国共同安全利益的不断增加,一方面要求中国在地区安全问题上发挥作用,一方面又对中国进行日渐严密的围堵,不断挑战中国的核心利益。")

--
※ 来源:.一路BBS http://yilubbs.com [FROM: 129.10.0.0]

※ 修改:.choi 于 Sep 25 14:09:01 修改本文.[FROM: 129.10.0.0]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表