查看: 994|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Toyoda? Toyota?

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2-27-2010 09:53:33 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

Tomoko Hosaka, Lucky number reason for Toyota spelling change. Associated Press, Feb. 24, 2010.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224/ap_on_bi_ge/as_toyota_or_toyoda_1

My comment:
(a) Akio TOYODA 豊田 章男
(b) Kiichiro TOYODA 豊田 喜一郎(1894-1952)
(c) In katakana, Toyota is トヨタ and Toyoda, トヨダ--the difference is the latter has two more strokes in the upper right corner of タ, thereby converting from "ta" to "da."
(d) switcheroo (n; alteration of switch): "a surprising variation"
(e) fortuitous (adj): "1 : occurring by chance  2 a : FORTUNATE, LUCKY"

Both English definitions are from www.m-w.com.

(f) Joseph B. White and Peter Landers, Toyoda Is Wary Star of Kabuki at Capitol. Wall Street Journal, Feb. 25, 2010.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703510204575085962673557620.html

Quote:

(i) "In Japan, senior executives whose companies make big mistakes undertake a familiar, public ritual of apology. They bow deeply. They express regret. Often they resign. They aren't usually subjected to hostile interrogations by legislators.

"In the U.S., executives whose companies make big mistakes don't bow. Instead, they hire lobbyists, publicists and lawyers and brace to endure humiliating interrogations by lawmakers.

(ii) "On Wednesday, Mr. Toyoda stuck by the proverb, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'—or, as they say in Japan, 'When in a go [county], conform to that go.' He didn't bow. He did absorb the blows.

Note:
(i) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" is translated into Japanese as "郷に入っては郷に従え," where 郷 【ごう】 has a long vowel in "go" and is defined as "countryside."

(ii) In "n  ido to okoranai you ni," Wall Street Journal had a typo by leaving a space between "n" and "ido." It should be "nido."

* "nido to" (adv) 二度と 【にどと】 "never again (with negative verb),"

where nido (n): 二度 【にど】 two times.
* okoru (vi) 興る 【おこる】 to rise
* meifuku (n) 冥福 【めいふく】 (n) happiness in the next world
* oinori (n) お祈り 【おいのり】 prayer

The Japanese definitions come from Jim Breen's online Japanese dictionary.

--
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表