打印 上一主题 下一主题

Senkaku Islands

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 8-18-2010 14:14:10 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

News reports in chronological order:

(1) U.S. fudges Senkaku security pact status. Kyodo News, Aug. 16, 2010.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20100816x1.html

(2) 美国“否认”改变对钓鱼岛立场之说. BBC Chinese, Aug. 17, 2010.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/world/2010/08/100817_us_japan_diaoyutai.shtml

, which is based on

the Aug. 16, 2010 exchange at Daily Press Briefing, US Department of State, between reporters and Mr. Philip J. Crowley, Assistant Secretary.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2010/08/146001.htm

The relevant portion is as follows.

"QUESTION: P.J., on Japan, Kyodo News is reporting today that the Administration has decided to not explicitly state that the Senkaku Islands are under Article 5 of the 1960 U.S.-Japan mutual defense. Can you say explicitly that they are still considered under that article?

"MR. CROWLEY: The U.S. position on this issue is longstanding and has not changed. The United States does not take a position on the question of the ultimate sovereignty of the Senkaku Islands. We expect the claimants to resolve this issue through peaceful means among themselves. But Article 5 of the 1960 U.S.-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security states that the treaty applies to the territories under the administration of Japan. There’s no change. That report is incorrect.

"QUESTION: A follow-up?

"MR. CROWLEY: Sure.

"QUESTION: I’d like to make it clear that the U.S. considers the treaty applies to the Senkaku Islands, not because on March 24 in 2004, Deputy Spokesman Ereli talked about Senkaku at the press briefing and he says three points. One point is the Senkaku Islands have been the Japanese administrative territory from 1972. And number two, and the treaty applies to territories of under the administration of Japan. Those two points are just the same as what you say. But he say one more point – plus the treaty applies to the Senkaku Islands, and he said it very clearly but you didn’t say that so I have to make–

"MR. CROWLEY: Well, again, the report suggested that we have changed our position. We have not changed our position.

"QUESTION: But, you – the – during the Bush Administration, U.S. Government said that the treaty applies to the Senkaku Islands very clearly, but you didn’t say that. It seems like it’s a big change in place.

"MR. CROWLEY: Okay. How many times can I tell that our position has not changed?

"QUESTION: And can you say what he’s asking you to say, that these islands are covered by Article 5 of the treaty?

"MR. CROWLEY: Well, all right. I’ll try it again.

"QUESTION: No, no, no.

"MR. CROWLEY: No, no, no, no. No, Matt, I’ll try it again. The Senkaku Islands have been under the administrative control of the Government of Japan since they were returned as part of the reversion of Okinawa in 1972. Article 5 of the 1960 U.S.-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security states that the treaty applies to the territories under the administration of Japan. That should answer the question.

"QUESTION: Well, it does. So if you can say that, why can’t you say a – simple declarative sentence that these island – that you consider these islands to be covered by Article 5 of the treaty?

"QUESTION: (Inaudible)

"MR. CROWLEY: (Inaudible)

"QUESTION: No, he didn’t say that. He said what should be the equivalent of it. It’s a syllogism here. Can’t you give us the third – can you give us the third leg of it? No, P.J., I’m serious. I mean, yes, it sounds like it’s a minor trivial thing, but if you’re under orders not to specifically say that these islands, in one sentence not specifically say that these islands are covered, then it does seem like it’s a change.

"MR. CROWLEY: It is not a change. I mean, I can read what’s here.

"QUESTION: But why can’t you take the –

"MR. CROWLEY: If the –

"QUESTION: -- next step to put the islands and the treaty in the same sentence?

"MR. CROWLEY: I would say the answer is yes.

"QUESTION: Wait, wait, wait. (Laughter.) What do you mean you say – what answer is yes? It wasn’t – I mean, either you can say – either you can put them together in one sentence or you can’t. And if you --

"MR. CROWLEY: The Senkaku Islands are under the administrative control of the Government of Japan. Article 5 states that the treaty applies to the territories under the administration of Japan. So that if you ask today would the treaty apply to the Senkaku Islands, the answer is yes.

"QUESTION: Yes. Okay.

--
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表