查看: 3670|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Law Schools Are Scam

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 1-10-2011 10:56:09 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

David Segal, Is Law School a Losing Game?  Deans say graduates are working. They don't say how many are at Home Depot. New York Times, Jan 9, 2011 (Sunday Business section).
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?scp=1&sq=segal%20law&st=cse

Excerpt in the window of the print: Law schools, with their large lecture classes, can be cash cows for universities.

Quote:

"But the legal market has always been obsessed with academic credentials, and today, few students except those with strong grade-point averages at top national and regional schools can expect a come-hither from a deep-pocketed firm. Nearly everyone else is in for a struggle." Web page 2.

"Mr. Wallerstein is chatting over lunch one recent afternoon with his fiancée, Karin Michonski. She, too, seems unperturbed by his dizzying collection of i.o.u.’s." Same.

Finding only odd jobs after graduation and with a quarter-million student loan, Mr. Wallerstein "for his part, is not complaining. Once you throw in the intangibles of having a J.D., he says, he is one of law schools’ satisfied customers. 'It’s a prestige thing,' he says. " Web page 7.

My comment: A few years ago, I tried to help out in Law board of Mitbbs.com, answering questions as best I could--though I explicitly stated I was not a lawyer or a law student. I asked others to chip in, to no avail. Some Chinese, upset about my Taiwanese, drove me out. They insisted law careers were rosy for Chinese law students, dismissed my observation that few Asians were recruited as associates in white-shoe law firms in greater Boston area (they contended Boston was an anomaly and that everything was Kosher, especially in California). I hope they are right and that they have successful careers at present. God bless America.

※ 修改:.choi 于 Jan 10 14:00:56 修改本文.[FROM: 129.10.0.0]

※ 修改:.choi 于 Jan 11 15:04:53 修改本文.[FROM: 129.10.0.0]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表