查看: 913|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2-3-2011 16:05:57 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

Ian Freeman, Free dictionary; At play in the fields of the OED. Boston Globe, Jan 16, 2011.
http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2011/01/16/free_dictionary/
("Through Feb. 5, the OED Online — the world’s most comprehensive collection of English word histories, with 3 million usage examples dating back more than a millennium — is celebrating its redesign with free access for all")

My comment:
(a) Alfred the Great
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_the_Great
(849-899; King of Wessex from 871 to 899; Alfred is noted for his defence of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of southern England against the Vikings, becoming the only English monarch to be accorded the epithet "the Great")
(b) The report invited readers to "discover the odd origin of bridegroom."

Etymology of bridegroom: "in the Promptorium and Catholicon, bryde is of both sexes: see bride n. 2" which OED defines as "In 15th and 16th c. denoting also a bridegroom; = spouse. Obs."
(c) The report also suggests "trend"--OED indicates trend as a noun came from trend as a verb
(d) honcho (n; Japanese 班長)

In Japanese 班長 is pronounced "hancho":
"【はんちょう】 (n) squad leader; honcho; team leader; group leader"
Breen's online Japanese dictionary
(e) It appears that the online OED (www.oed.com) does not accept more than one word in the search box, thus precluding a phrase. For example, to look for "all hell breaks lose," I must enter hell as a noun, and proceed to locate the phrase "(all) hell breaks (also (is) let) loose." It is worthwhile, though, because the earliest other web sites can trace the phrase back was to English John Milton's Paradise Lost (originally published in 1667).

In comparison, OED listed two prior to that year:

"1577    Misogonus in R. W. Bond Early Plays from Ital. (1911) 215   To be revelinge and bousinge after such a lewde fashion I thinke hell breake louse.

"1600    S. Nicholson Acolastus his After-witte sig. E4v,   Before my hell of foule mishap breake loose.  

(f) Sorry, I was too busy to put this up. Only two more days left for free trial.

※ 修改:.choi 于 Feb  4 13:25:47 修改本文.[FROM: 129.10.0.0]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表