典故:新船命名下水仪式为何要摔香槟?

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 7-5-2014 09:56:38 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
BBC Chinese, July 5, 2014.
www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/uk/2014/07/140705_uk_ship_smash.shtml

, which is translated from

Lucy Townsend, Who, what, why: Why Is Champagne Traditional for Smashing on Ships?   BBC, July 4, 2014
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28158790

Note:
(a) "Who, what, why" is an irregular column in BBC to explain things.

(b) "When Queen Victoria launched HMS Royal Arthur in 1891 she smashed a bottle of champagne against it. It is believed to be one of the first instances of the drink being used in this way."
(i) HMS Royal Arthur (1891)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Arthur_(1891)
(a cruiser of the Edgar class; Launched: Feb 26, 1891; sold in 1921 for breaking up in Germany)
(ii) Royal Arthur refers to Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Arthur,_Duke_of_Connaught_and_Strathearn
(1850-1942; the seventh child and third son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert)

(c) "The Babylonians would sacrifice oxen, while the Vikings sacrificed a slave to propitiate their sea god."

propitiate (vt): "to gain or regain the favor or goodwill of : APPEASE"
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/propitiate

(d) "Wine became customary in England in the 15th Century when a representative of the king would drink a [silver] goblet of wine, sprinkle wine on the deck and then throw the goblet overboard."
(i) For goblet, see chalice
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalice
("A chalice is a goblet or footed cup intended to hold a drink. In general religious terms, it is intended for drinking during a ceremony")
(ii) Go to images.google.com and you will see vrious forms of a goblet, including the follwing three:
(A) Lotta Clear Wine Goblet, made by LSA International
us.amara.com/products/lotta-clear-wine-goblet-set-of-2
(B) Jane Water Goblet
www.crateandbarrel.com/jane-water-goblet/s381519
(C) rona goblet glass, from CB2
www.cb2.com/rona-goblet-glass/s629006

(e) Says John Graves, curator of ship history at the National Maritime Museum: "It's quite a clear progression. The red of the wine would have looked a bit like the blood from earlier centuries, and the move to champagne would have been all about the celebration - champagne is the aristocrat of wines."
(i) BBC translates this way:

格里夫斯特别说:“不过,红酒的颜色有些像好几个世纪前残留下来的血迹,所以,香槟就看起来更合适。香槟能带来欢庆的气氛,而且也在葡萄酒里,也最有贵族气质。”
(ii) It is wrong, because BBC Chinese neglects the prior sentence: "It's quite a clear progression."  The blood refers to that spilled both by oxen in the hand of Babylonians and by a slave, Vikings.

(f) "In 1797 the captain of the frigate USS Constitution broke a bottle of madeira wine to mark her launch."
(i) madeira
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira
(a Portuguese archipelago; just under 400 kilometres (250 mi) north of Tenerife, Canary Islands; claimed by Portugal in 1419)
(ii) Madeira wine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_wine
(made from grape; Madeira is noted for its unique winemaking process which involves heating the wine up to temperatures as high as 60 °C (140 °F) for an extended period of time and deliberately exposing the wine to some levels of oxidation)

(g) Graves: "I have been told by many ship builders that cheap cava creates a more spectacular display - it's much bubblier that champagne."
(i) Cava (Spanish wine)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cava_(Spanish_wine)
(section 1 Name: The Catalan word cava (masculine, plural caves) means "cave", or "cellar")

Note it is a Catalan noun, not Spanish.
(ii) The Spanish noun for "cave" is
cueva (noun feminine; plural: cuevas)
(ii) Again BBC translates it wrong: “我跟很多造船厂家说,是不是能用西班牙卡瓦地区生产的起泡葡萄酒来替换香槟?这不仅更便宜,而且卡瓦起泡酒的沫子更多,视觉效果也更好。”

Not 卡瓦地区.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表