搜索
查看: 1093|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

ZHANG Huan 張洹

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 8-8-2014 07:34:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Ken Johnson, Where Minimalist Meets Showy; At Storm King, gigantic fragmented Buddhas, and a simple speaking tube. New York Times, Aug 8, 2014 (in the Weekend Arts section, today being Friday; under the heading "Outdoor Art")
www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/arts/ ... -at-storm-king.html
(art review)

Note:
(a) The word "minimalist" can be a noun or an adjective.

(b) The "Buddhas" in the subtitle is a plural form of Buddha.
(i) buddha (n; from Sanskrit: awakened, enlightened, from [Sanskrit] budh to awake, know):
"(Buddhism) (often capital) a person who has achieved a state of perfect enlightenment"
www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/buddha
(ii) Buddha (n; First Known Use (in English) 1681)
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buddha

You do not have to visit this second online dictionary, whose point is there is no lower case for "b."

(c) Storm King Art Center
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_King_Art_Center
(d) Half of the review is about New York Sculptor Virginia Overton whose exhibition includes a speaking tube, for which you need not read the review but view the photo only. The photo shows a person (I can not tell if that is a man or a woman) apparently tried hard to listen, with the head next to the one end of the tube.
(e) The rest is about a Chinese male artist.  The last sentence of paragraph 1 states, “Six monumental, figurative sculptures by ZHANG Huan 張 洹 of Shanghai are ponderously theatrical.”

The second half of the review is about him, starting in the paragraph that begins with “Mr Zhang also harks back to the past: to the traditional Buddhist art and culture of his native China.”

(f) His works in the exhibition:
(i) “In the exhibition’s earliest work, ‘Peace No 2’ 和平2号 (2001), a gold-leafed bronze cast of the artist’s nude body hangs below the mouth of a monumental bell that’s suspended from a steel post and lintel structure. The most recent, ‘Milly’s Temple’ (2013), is a salvaged and reconstructed antique wooden doorway with an aluminum representation of a beehive added under the eaves of its roof.”

There is no Chinese name for “Milly’s Temple.”  (And Zhang’s “first museum retrospective: ‘Altered States’ at Asia Society in 2007 and ’08” had no Chinese name either for “Altered States.”
(ii) “Three Legged Buddha”  三腿佛

(g) “Melissa CHIU, director of Asia Society Museum and soon to be director of the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden”
(i) 紐約亞洲協會美術館館長 招穎思 博士
(ii) Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirshhorn_Museum_and_Sculpture_Garden
(part of the Smithsonian Institution)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表