www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/fooc ... _blind_gunman.shtml

, which is an abbreviated translation of

William Kremer, Guide dogs and guns: America's blind gunmen. BBC, Aug 12, 2014
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28587041

Note:
(a) "Carey McWilliams went to the sheriff's office in Fargo, North Dakota"
(i) Fargo, North Dakota
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo,_North_Dakota
(the largest city [by population, whose 2010 census was 105,549] in North Dakota, accounting for nearly 16% of the state population; renamed after Wells Fargo Express Company founder William Fargo)
(ii) The Hungarian surnames Fargo/Vargo/Varga are "from Hungarian varga ‘cobbler,’ ‘shoemaker.’"

(b) "Expect a lot of grief because you're a test case for the whole system, no-one's done this before."

grief (n):
"2a :  deep and poignant distress caused by or as if by bereavement
3b :  mishap, misadventure
c :  trouble, annoyance <enough grief for one day>
d :  annoying or playful criticism <getting grief from his friends>"
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grief

(c) " As McWilliams recounts how he killed the beast with a .44 Magnum c - a cross between a gun and a spear - his voice fills with emotion. * * * Carey McWilliams is unemployed, and lives in a trailer home with his wife, Victoria"
(i) For bangstick, see powerhead
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerhead
(ii) One may go to images.google.com to see what it looks like.

(d) "Throughout his life, Jim Miekka has brought this extraordinary single-mindedness to bear on a series of intellectual puzzles. * * * Miekka's love of guns doesn't end with target shooting, either. He also enjoys dressing up as a cowboy and competing in fast-draw competitions under the nickname the Midnight Gunslinger. He can draw and fire his six-shooter in half a second."
(i) bring to bear
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bring_to_bear
(ii) revolver
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver
(Nearly all early revolvers and many modern ones have six chambers in the cylinder, giving rise to the slang term "six-shooter")

(e) "To minimise danger to passers-by, he says his gun is loaded with frangible ammunition, which would be of no danger after exiting an assailant's body. 'Surgeons absolutely hate those type of shots that I use because they do a lot of a damage internally," he says. "It would make a bullet wound about the size of a dime and an exit wound about the size of a baseball, and wouldn't go very far beyond that.'"

frangible (adj; ultimately from Latin frangere to break--more at BREAK): "readily or easily broken"
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/frangible
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表