注册
搜索
查看: 978|回复: 1

中国成美国海外高中生最大来源

[复制链接]
发表于 8-20-2014 07:38:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
VOA Chinese, Aug 20, 2014
www.voachinese.com/content/china ... 140820/2421886.html
("中国已取代韩国,成为美国海外高中生源第一大国。 * * * 2013年美国向31889名中国学生发出了赴美就读高中的签证,2005年这类中国学生只有639人;美国国土安全部网站数字显示,中国赴美读高中的学生2011-2012年为6725人,2013年出现猛增。 * * * 目前约有33万多中国学生人就读美国高等院校")

Note:
(a) "李牧是美国克利夫兰大学孔子学院中文项目主管"
(i) Cleveland University
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_University
(1851-1852; "Not to be confused with Cleveland College or Cleveland State University")
(ii) Ms Li Mu is with Cleveland State University. See
Departmental Listing; Curriculum & foundations. Cleveland State University, undated
phone.csuohio.edu/deptdisplay.asp?deptselected=CURRICULUM+%26+FOUNDATIONS
("LI, MU [email, phone number, office address] VISITING PROFESSOR CONFUCIUS INST")

The word "visiting" means she is not a (permanent) member of the faculty.

(b) "很多中国父母为了子女教育愿意大把花钱。报道说,供养一名赴美高中生,学费加食宿约四万美元。"
(i) It does not say the cost is for a year or four years (usually high school takes four years to complete in most states iin US).
(ii) To last four years with $40,000, one needs to attend a public high school (in US), which is not the bext in the world.

(iii) There is no corresponding English-language report in VOICE OF AMERICA. However, I find one in another source, which talks about "$40,000" but still does nto say a year or four. Yet from the context--a Chinese student is attending a private high school--it must be ONE year. (And this VOA story must be based on the report.) See next.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 8-20-2014 07:38:38 | 显示全部楼层
Didi Tang, Chinese seek freedom, edge at US high schools. Associated press, Aug 13, 2014 (under the heading "The Big Story").
bigstory.ap.org/article/chinese-seek-freedom-edge-us-high-schools

Note:
(a) “Xu Yi, who runs a tutoring and consulting agency for Chinese students called Focus Education”

In the VOA report: “翻译出身的付晓老师是河南郑州 ‘焦点教育咨询有限公司’ 的法人代表兼负责人,她对美国之音说”

(b) “Riley Peng, the daughter of a successful entrepreneur, disliked the emphasis on rote memorization in China, and now is engaged in a variety of classes and extracurricular activities at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut, including running on the cross-country team.”
(i) A History of the School. Choate Rosemary Hall, undated
www.choate.edu/about/history/index.aspx

The Wiki page for the school is too long.
(ii) Offering grades 9-12, the high school is located in Town of Wallingford, New Haven County, Connecticut. So you know approximately where it is.

(c) “Peng's friend Lisa Li, who attends Lawrence Academy in Groton, Massachusetts”

A Brief History of Lawrence Academy. Lawrence Academy, undated.
www.lacademy.edu/page.cfm?p=1038

(d) “In Pennsylvania, Chinese investor Jiang Bairong has bought the grounds of an old school and opened the new Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science — miles away from Princeton University — in a partnership with the High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China”
(i) 百荣投资控股集团总裁 蒋柏荣  (“chairman of Bairong Investment Holding Group Co, Ltd in Beijing”)
(ii) The school he founded does not have a Chinese name.

(e) “In Michigan, the public Lake Shore High School in the Detroit suburb of St Clair Shores gets about 90 Chinese students each year, all from the Beijing Haidian International School 北京海淀国际学校. * * * Unlike private schools, U.S. public school districts cannot enroll foreign students for more than one year because of federal restrictions * * * To ensure that the Chinese students will be able to pass high school graduation exams back home, the Haidian school sends its own teachers to Lake Shore High to provide tutoring classes on math, physics and chemistry. It also provides English tutoring, said Wang Yingkun, a Haidian principal.”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表