一路 BBS

找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1072|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Aug 25, 2014 (II)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 8-23-2014 12:29:42 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Caroline Winter, This Stealth Attack Boat May Be Too Innovative for the Pentagon.
www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... to-u-dot-s-dot-navy

My comment:
(a) This is one of the three feature stories in each issue.
(b) Watch video and view sketch. And that is enough.

(c) “Matte gray, with the chiseled angles of a Nighthawk stealth aircraft, Ghost doesn’t look like a boat. Its 38-foot main hull is designed to travel above the water’s surface, propped up by two narrow struts, both 12 feet long and razor-sharp at the front so they can cut through ocean debris. Underwater, each strut is attached to a 62-foot-long tube that contains a gas turbine engine. Hinges allow the struts to move up and down like wings. While parked, or traveling through shallow waters, they can be extended to the side. In deeper waters, at speeds of eight knots or higher, they can rotate downward to lift the hull into the air, eliminating the jarring impact of waves.”
(i) matte (adj; French mat, from Old French, faded, defeated): "having a surface that is not shiny”
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matte
(ii)
(A) common nighthawk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_nighthawk
(Chordeiles minor; nocturnal)
(B) Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk
(1983-2008)
(iii)
(A) strut (n): “supporting brace"
www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=strut
(B) strut
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut
(a structural component designed to resist longitudinal compression)
shows various kind of struts.

In this boat, the strut, also called “wing” in one sketch legend, is the one that connects the hulk and a tube,

(d) legends of the sketch:
(i) "Computer-coordinated panels along with the vessel's tail fins allow for stereo steering."

I can not find the meaning of “stereo steering.”
(ii) "The cabinet fit 16 [personnel]--or 90 Nemesis missiles."

News release: Lockheed Martin’s Nemesis Missile Scores 3-For-3 in Flight Tests. Lockheed Martin, Apr 15, 2013
www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/p ... NemesisMissile.html
(“a man-portable, surface-launched missile [for targets] as close as 100 meters to well beyond line of sight”)

Google (Nemesis missile) and you will see images of the missile.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表