搜索
查看: 1099|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Four Pizzerias in Tokyo, All of Neapolitan Style

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 9-21-2014 13:40:34 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Yoree Koh and Daisuke Wakabayashi, The Land of Rising Crust; Traditional Neapolitan pizza is hot in Japan--and made to very exacting standards. Wall Street Journal, Sept 20, 2014.
online.wsj.com/articles/in-japan-traditional-italian-pizza-is-tops-1410977967

Note:
(a) Neapolitan pizza
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza
(made with tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese)
(i) Of course there are other requirements, but these two ingredients are sine qua non.
(ii) Japanese write pizza in katakana: ピザ  (pronounced “piza”).

(b) “In 2010, Akinari MAKISHIMA 牧島 昭成, a pizzaiolo from the industrial city of Nagoya, in central Japan, made headlines winning the top prize in a bake-off organized by the association [Association for Genuine Neapolitan Pizza 真のナポリピッツァ協会, based in Naples]. “
(i) Japanese English dictionary
(A) maki 牧 【まき】 (n): "pasture; grazing land"
(B) kaki 柿 【かき】 (n): "kaki; Japanese persimmon (Diospyros kaki)"

The following posting in the series will deal exclusively with persimmon.
(C) numa 沼 【ぬま】 (n): "swamp; bog"
(D) nori 典 【のり】 (n): "rule; law"
(ii) pizzaiolo (noun masculine; from pizza + -aiolo [qv]): “a man who makes pizzas in a pizzeria"
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pizzaiolo

(c) “Pizza was introduced to the country by way of US chains like Shakey's, which opened its first Japanese outpost in 1973.”

Shakey’s Pizza
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey's_Pizza
(private; The chain currently has about 500 stores globally, and about 60 in the United States; founded in Sacramento, California in 1954, by Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson and Ed Plummer)
(d) “Yōichi WATANABE 渡辺 陽一, who worked as a chef in Italy for 10 years, was one of the early promoters of Neapolitan pie in Japan. * * * ‘We didn't used to eat tomatoes, cheese or olive oil,’ Mr Watanabe said."
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 9-21-2014 13:40:46 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 choi 于 9-21-2014 13:44 编辑

(continued)

(e) “The process of making pizza in front of diners is similar to the theater often found at the country's sushi shops, yakitori (grilled chicken) joints and izakayas 居酒屋, (Japanese gastropubs).”
(i) yakitori  焼き鳥
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitori
(ii) gastropub
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub

(f) “The Pioneer[:]  Seirinkan 聖林館 was started by Susumu KAKINUMA 柿沼 進, considered the godfather of Neapolitan pizza in Japan. * * * In 2007 came Seirinkan, whose submarine-like décor was inspired by Jules Verne's ‘Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.’ * * * 2-6-4 Kami-Meguro, Meguro-ku [東京都目黒区 上目黒 2-6-4], 03-3714-5160"
(i) Jules Verne
Jules Verneen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne
(1828-1905; a French novelist)

* Jules
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules
(the French form of the Latin "Julius")
(ii) league (unit)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_(unit)
(the distance a person could walk in an hour)

(g) “The Crowd Pleaser[:] Bustling Pizzeria e trattoria da ISA, in Tokyo's hip Nakameguro 中目黒 neighborhood, aims to evoke a pizzeria in Naples in décor, atmosphere and taste. * * * Hisanori YAMAMOTO 山本 尚徳, da ISA's owner and pizzaiolo * * * 1-28-9 Aobadai, Meguro-ku [東京都目黒区青葉台 1-28-9]”
(i) Pizzeria e trattoria da ISA
www.da-isa.jp/
(ii) There is only Italian name: no kanji or kana.
(iii) e (conjunction): “and”
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/e

is equivalent to “y” in Spanish.
(iv) trattoria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trattoria
(“an Italian-style eating establishment, less formal than a ristorante, but more formal than an osteria. There are generally no printed menus, the service is casual, wine is sold by the decanter rather than the bottle, prices are low”)

(h) “The Minimalist[:] Shougo Yamaguchi, who opened Frey's Famous Pizzeria three years ago in Tokyo's up-all-night district of Roppongi,* * * 4-5-15 Roppongi, Minato-ku [東京都港区六本木4-5-15]”
* FREY's Famous Pizzeria
plus.google.com/107135954182658506373/about?gl=us&hl=en
* Roppongi  六本木, Minato, Tokyo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roppongi,_Minato,_Tokyo

(i) “The Purist[:] At Savoy, a tiny but tidy pizza salon that opened in Tokyo's upscale Azabu-Jūban 麻布十番 neighborhood in 2006 * * * 3-10-1 Moto-Azabu, Minato-ku [東京都港区元麻布3丁目10-1]”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表