搜索
查看: 732|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

A Pamphlet About 'Girls' by Financial Times

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 10-11-2017 16:39:37 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Today Financial Times carries a booklet titled "Girls; The path to gender equality" supported by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

'A Meeting I Won't Forget;' The chief executive of the World Bank tells Shawn Donnan why the [;ight of adolescent girls can only be addressed properly if more women are allowed to be policymakers. Financial Times, Oct 11, 2017.
https://www.ft.com/content/f24c32ba-720a-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9

(a) Excerpt in the window of print: 'There is a massive economic and social benefit from empowering women'

(b) the first three paragraphs:

"The conversation with Niger's prime minister and his cabinet started with a data point. In 1960, Kristalina Georgieva's home country of Bulgaria ranked equal with Kenya in the global population tables, each at about 8m. By 2012, when she was visiting Niger, Kenya’s population had soared to 44m, while Bulgaria’s had fallen to a little over 7m. In that transition, Georgieva says, she saw a worrying precedent for Niger if it didn’t start empowering its women and deploying more effective family planning policies.

" 'I told them: "I cannot imagine my country with 44m people! You cannot go on like this." And that — boom! — opened up a conversation I will never forget,' Georgieva recalls. 'The prime minister said: "Oh, Niger has plenty of land. We can have many more people. This is not a problem." '

"One of the two female ministers at the table then jumped in, Georgieva says, raising her eyebrows in an impression of her astonishment at the time. 'She said: "Oh come on! We only have desert! What do we have? We have sand. We don’t have land." '

Note:
(a) The CEO of world bank is a woman: Kristalina Georgieva.
(b) Niger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger
(named after the Niger River [which might be a Berber phrase for "river of rivers"]; over 80 percent of its land area covered by the Sahara Desert; predominantly Islamic population; independence from France in 1960l Arabic but not French is among national language)
(c) There is no need to read the rest.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表