查看: 759|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Mexicans Start to Embrace Independent Candidates

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 3-12-2018 11:02:31 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 3-12-2018 11:13 编辑

Paulina Villegas, Disgusted with Politics as Usual, Mexicans Start  to Embrace Outsiders. New York Times, Mar 12, 2018.

Quote:

(a) "In a cafe in downtown Guadalajara, Pedro Kumamoto, 28, an independent politician running for a Senate seat, was savoring his early morning coffee when a middle-aged man approached.

" 'I am sorry to interrupt -- I just want to greet you,' the older man said [older than Kumamoto], his eyes starting to tear up. 'I am sorry for getting emotional, but you are a true inspiration.'

"Such effusive displays of appreciation are unusual in Mexico, but encounters like this have become common fo Mr Kumamoto, an indication of how hungry Mexicans have become  for alternative leaders amid growing disenchantment with the traditional parties.

"Two years ago, Mr Kumamoto was elected as the first independent legislator in the state Congress of Jalisco, a feat possible only after a 2014 change to the federal Constitution allowed for candidates not affiliated with parties. Now, Mr Kumamoto, a self-described 'social-democrat,' is leading in the polls for a seat in the federal Senate.

"He is among dozens of independent candidates running for state of federal office who are looking to deliver a sharp rebuke to politics as usual in Mexico.  

(b) 16 members of Wikipolítica, a leftist youth movement founded in 2013, have qualified to run as independent candidates for federal and state races. Many are under 30, and they include Mr Kumamoto [that is,  he is a member of Wikipolítica].  * * * Mr Kumamoto * * * describ[ed] the goal of Wikipolítica, whose name, a play on Wikipedia, is meant to suggest grass-roots politics.

(c) "Both Mr Kumamoto and [a fellow Wikipolítica member Carlos] Brio said one of the biggest challenges facing independent candidates is overcoming voter skepticism that the political status quo can be challenged.

(d) "In a political system that favors established parties -- Mexican law, for example, guarantees parties funding and media access during campaigns -- the electoral performance [ie, o be elected] of most of the independents in the coming election is expected to be marginal, experts say.

(e) "The great-grandson of Japanese immigrant, Mr Kumamoto said * * *

My comment:
(a) There is no need to read the rest.
(b) Kumamoto Prefecture 熊本県 (capital: City of Kumamoto 熊本市) is in 九州. If you see his photo (the report carries one), you will think he does not look Japanese.
(c) Guadalajara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara
("The city is named after the Spanish city of Guadalajara, the name of which came from the Andalusian Arabic wād(i) l-ḥijāra (واد الحجارة or وادي الحجارة), meaning 'river/valley of stones' ")
(d) Independent Candidates are what are known in Taiwan as 无党无派. If Mexican law favor political parties, why can't Wikipolítica register to form a party?
(i) Spanish-English dictionary:
* política (noun feminine): "1 : politics  2 : policy"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/política
(ii) Etymology of the English noun politics is ultimately from Ancient Greek adjective politikós political.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表