一路 BBS

找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 808|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Mar 12, 2018 (III)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 3-15-2018 09:43:05 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 3-15-2018 13:08 编辑

(a) correction: In Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Mar 12, 2018 (I), I wrote "Texas State Historical Association (a NPO)." It should be "an NPO" (NPO stands for nonprofit organization).
(b) In Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Mar 12, 2018 (II), I wrote: "Russia experienced great recession in 2008-2009 (in part due to its invasion of Georgia)."

I added to the original posting words following "Georgia": "Russia experienced great recession in 2008-2009 (in part due to its invasion of Georgia, Aug 7-12, 2008, which resulted in sanction imposed by George W Bush that was lifted by Obama in 2010).

------------------------------------------------------
(5) Joshua Green (with Robert Schmidt, Jennifer Jacobs, Margaret Talev and Max Abelson), Timber Tariffs Are Hammering US Builders
("For the past 18 months, Eddie Martin has been trying to find ways to keep affordable homes he builds, well affordable.  About 40 percent of the Texas homebuilder's framing lumber comes from Canada. The Trump administration slapped punitive tariffs on Canadian softwood timber last year, claiming the industry is unfairly subsidized")

Note:
(a) summary underneath the title in print: Penalties Trump imposed on impoof Canadian softwood lumber are changing the economics of home construction
(b) The colors in the title are those that appear in print, as does the quotation.
(c) There is no need to read the rest.

(6) Josh Dean,Someone Get This Guy Some Pot.  The US is ceding the multibillion-dollar medical marijuana industry to other countries. Why? Because the feds are bogarting the supply.

My comment:
(a) There is no need to read the rest.
(b) bogart (vt; Did You Know?)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bogart

(7) Katya Kazakina and John Gittelsohn, The Savior of Stamps. By selling his $4.2 million stamp collection, Bill Gross could single-handedly revive the field of philately.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/a ... on-stamp-collection

Quote:

"Bill Gross gained fame as the bond king pand bad temper]. * * * His $42 million collection of US postage is so complete that when the first part of it comes up for auction in September, the entire field of philately will feel the effect.

"Smithsonian National Postal Museum in Washington * * * got more than $10 million from Gross's family to build the William H Gross Stamp Gallery, the world's largest gallery dedicated to postage.

"Gross, 73, bond portfolio manager at Janus Henderson Group Plc [based in London] * * * Gross built his fortune as co-founder and chief investment officer of Pacific Investment Management Co [PINCO], where he pioneered active bond strategies. When he faced an ouster in 2014 amid a dispute with other executives, he jumped to Janus

"His collection was valued at $42.2 million, according to court papers filed in October as part of a divorce settlement between him and his wife, Sue Gross. After the couple divided their assets, including multiple homes and artwork, he retained a personal net worth estimated by Bloomberg at $1.6 billion.

Note:
(a) The online version is identical to print.
(b) PIMCO is based in Newport Beach (southwestern neighbor of Irvine) -- both cities in Orange County, California.
(c)
(i) During the marriage, Bill and Sue Gross reportedly gave away $800 million through their foundation.
(ii) Tony Saavedra, Divorce of Pimco Founder Bill Gross Ends in 'Revenge and Ugliness,' Threatens Charity. Orange County Register, Oct 13, 2017/
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/ ... -threatens-charity/

"Bill Gross, 72 [1944- ] * * * 67-year-old Sue Gross * * * The couple was married in 1985 [he 41 and she 36] and Sue Gross filed for divorce in November 2016.

"The documents [court filing in divorce proceeding] don't reveal the full financial terms of the divorce settlement. Both sides signed a deal in January that gives each $600 million. Bill Gross * * * had [note the past tense, but did not say when] a fortune of $2.5 billion, according to some media accounts.

* Indian Wells, California is a city in Riverside County.

(iii) Jon Shazar, Bill Gross' Love Letters: A Dealbreaker Retrospective. Dealbreaker (a website based in New York City about Wall Street), Dec 9, 2016.
https://dealbreaker.com/2016/12/ ... aker-retrosepctive/
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表