搜索
查看: 1093|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

An American Father Is Expecting His Fifth Child

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 8-25-2018 10:01:43 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Mark Oppenheimer, Yes, We Really Do Want to Have a Fifth Child. Wall Street Journal, Aug 25, 2018 (in the Saturday's "Review" section).

Quote:

"IN ABOUT A WEEK, my wife and I are expecting our fifth child. Among people we know, this makes us a bit odd. We are not typical candidates for a minivan-filling brood [see next]. We are not conservative traditionalists -- not Orthodox Jews, old-fashion Catholics or Mormons. Nore are we lefty counterculturalists. We have no aversion to birth control, chemical or otherwise.

"So why all the children? Until recently, nobody would have asked. In 1976 [talking about America], 40 % of mothers age 40 to 44 had four or more children. Today, only 13% do, and when it comes to mothers with graduate degrees (like my wife), only 8%. When people hear our news, they often tilt their heads , nod and say, "Great, great," with the look you give your friend who just got engaged to a man she met online last week.   For us, there is no one reason.

"Mr Oppenheimer writes frequently on religion and hosts the podcast Unorthodox for Tablet magazine.  

My comment: There is no need to read the rest (everyone has his reason for everything.) I do not know of him.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表