跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 5-26-2019 10:51:29 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 5-26-2019 11:14 编辑

(1) 麦燕庭, 称来自香港 留学生遭华人猛烈抨击 美媒料港人身分认同之争趋激烈. 法广, May 26, 2019
http://cn.rfi.fr/政治/20190526-称来自香港-留学生遭华人猛烈抨击-美媒料港人身分认同之争趋激烈
(许颖婷)

, which is based on

(2) Frances Hui, I am from Hong Kong, not China. The Berkeley Beacon, Apr 21, 2019 (in "Person of Color Column")
http://berkeleybeacon.com/person ... ong-kong-not-china/

About. The Berkeley Beacon, undated
https://berkeleybeacon.com/about/
("The Berkeley Beacon is Emerson College’s independent, student-run newspaper. Founded in 1947, the weekly publishes in print on Thursdays each fall and spring semester and online daily")
ternational students have become a prominent group at most U.S. schools in recent years. They made up nearly 60 percent of Emerson’s undergraduate international student population in fall 2018, according to the college’s Impact Report on Internationalization.

While it is globally agreed that Hong Kong and Taiwan are different entities from China politically, socially, and financially, it is important for colleges to be politically correct by educating themselves on international politics.

During my orientation in last fall, the School of Communication’s presentation about international exchange programs listed my hometown as “Hong Kong, China.” This move might flatter most of the Chinese students at Emerson, yet it upsets me to see how unaware the college is to this topic.

If the college promotes their education abroad programs to broaden students’ global vision, they must be more cognizant and knowledgeable of the places they accept students from and send students to.

I have never felt so desperate to find other people from Hong Kong and advocate for my culture. I recognize the absence of that voice on campus for Taiwanese, Hongkongers and other Chinese minority groups.

At my previous college in Seattle, faculty members hosted a panel that I spoke on alongside other students from Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan. Throughout the event, we touched on similarities and differences between the three cultures and educated the audience on controversial advocacy in Hong Kong and Taiwan. At the end of the panel, everyone seemed to leave with lingering curiosity to continue the conversation and an understanding of differences between us.

Instead of avoiding sensitive political topics to stay away from conflict, there should be more discussions on these issues to provide different students with an inclusive platform to voice their opinions. Everyone, including students from China or Hong Kong, should keep their minds open for new information and perspectives so as to learn from others.

It’s easy to exclude dissidents, but that only reinforces the problem and enlarges the gap between different nationalities. People should acknowledge the differences and participate in those conversations, despite all of the political tension within these places. This is important to provide a comfortable environment for people to identify themselves as who they want to be.

Although it was difficult facing judgment and disdain as one of the few Hongkongers at Emerson, I will strongly hold onto that identity because I am proud and I want to tell people where my actual home is.

4/25/19: A previous version of this article stated legislators of the Legislative Council are elected every five years. Legislators are elected every four years. The article has been changed to reflect that.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表