查看: 1021|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Silk Road

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 8-24-2020 14:31:15 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 8-26-2020 08:04 编辑

(1) T Magazine, whose subtitle is "The New York Times Style Magazine," was dedicated to "Travel" on May 17, 2020: specifically Silk Road in the present. Out of the five chapters,
Chapter 1
China: Xi'an. Ligaya Mishan, Thousand Fields of Grains.  Perhaps the greatest paradox of modern China is that even as the country expands its international influence, its view of its people and their varied histories has become increasingly myopic. But in the Muslim quarter of Xi'an, feasts of lamb and wheat are both a celebration of globalization and ethnic diversity -- and an enuring defense against erasure.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/ ... ian-china-food.html

Note:"
(a) Muslim quarter of Xi'an  回民街 (西安本地人称之为"回坊")
(b) text: "Hu Ruixi, who with her American-born husband , Brian Bergey, runs the Xi'an-based food-tour company Lost Plate".

Lost Plate Food Tours has no Chinese name. I can not find the chinese name of Hu Ruixi.
(c) photo captions (in the order as they appeared in print; all below are 清真):
• "A baker shaping sweet shuijing bing (crystal cakes) scented with orange and rose petal at Xi'an's Jin Xiang Zhai." 锦祥斋
• "Diners sharing meat skewers outside Sun Tao Kaorou [孙涛烤肉], one of the many spots — each with its own secret recipe — that sell grilled lamb and beef in the Muslim Quarter."
• "A pan-fried beef pancake at Jia Wu Youhuxian."

贾五油糊馅  (油糊馅= 清真牛肉饼; contrast with 西安贾三灌汤包子馆 of separate ownership; apparently both establishments have ptoprietors surnamed 贾, but it is unclear to me where or how they got the names of 贾三 and 贾五. The text said proprietor of 贾五油糊馅 is JIA Yu-sheng, whose Chinese name I can not find.
• "Lamb-innards soup at Gui Fang Zhai."  桂坊斋
• "Biang biang noodles at Ma Zhen Mian."  马振面, where 面 is noodle.
• "Another popular barbecue place, Liu Jia Ganbang Kaorou [刘家干棒烤肉], has been open for more than four decades; it's now a local landmark, often drawing a line out its door."
• "At Xi’an's Lao Liu Jia Paomo [老刘家泡馍 (馆)], the lamb-and-bread soup known as yangrou paomo (here, still in progress in the kitchen) is served with pickled garlic and chile (top right), alongside a plate of lotus root and other fresh vegetables."

(d) photo captions (in the order as they appeared online only):
• "Lamb hanging at Ma Yin Gui [I fail to find its Chinese name], one of the Muslim district's butchers that specializes in the meat."
•  "Zaoni su [枣泥酥] — pastries baked and filled with red date paste — at Xi'an's Jin Xiang Zhai bakery."
• "Pineapple rice [菠萝饭], a popular street-food dish in Xi'an's tourist-thronged markets."

(2) Chapter 2
China: Xi'an to Turpan.  Anna Sherman, The Endless Desert.  For years, travelers claimed to hear voices in sand sas they made the grueling trek -- past towering mountain ranges and ancient cities now lost to time -- across China's western frontier. Centuries later, you can hear them still.

My comment: I do not read this article (which concentrated on 鸣沙山. I did read the previous article, and do read it again today, whose text is informative (to me, kind of) but probably not to you (born and raised in China).
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表