搜索
查看: 1218|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

COVID-19 Vaccines

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 12-28-2020 16:30:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
(1) Fact Sheet for Healthcare Provider Administering Vaccine (Vaccine Providers); Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVIS-19 Vaccine to Prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). FDA, December 2020.
https://www.fda.gov/media/144413/download

Quote:

(a) "SUMMARY OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR COVID-19 VACCINATION PROVIDERS * * * The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is a suspension for intramuscular injection administered as a series of two doses (0.3 mL each) 3 weeks apart."  page 1.

(b) "DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Storage and Handling

During storage, minimize exposure to room light, and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and ultraviolet light.

Do not refreeze thawed vials.

Frozen Vials Prior to Use

Cartons of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Multiple Dose Vials arrive in thermal containers with dry ice. Once received, remove the vial cartons immediately from the thermal container and store in an ultra-low temperature freezer between -80ºC to -60ºC (-112ºF to -76ºF). Vials must be kept frozen between -80ºC to -60ºC (-112ºF to -76ºF) and protected from light until ready to use.

If an ultra-low temperature freezer is not available, the thermal container in which the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine arrives may be used as temporary storage when consistently re-filled to the top of the container with dry ice. * * *  

Thawed Vials Before Dilution

Vials After Dilution

• After dilution, store vials between 2°C to 25°C (35°F to 77°F) and use within
6 hours from the time of dilution.
• During storage, minimize exposure to room light, and avoid exposure to
direct sunlight and ultraviolet light.
• Any vaccine remaining in vials must be discarded after 6 hours.
• Do not refreeze."  pages 2-3.

(c) "END SHORT VERSION FACT SHEET
Long Version (Full EUA Prescribing Information) Begins On Next Page"  page 11.

(d) "13 DESCRIPTION
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is supplied as a frozen suspension in multiple dose vials; each vial must be diluted with 1.8 mL of sterile 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP prior to use to form the vaccine. Each dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine contains 30 mcg of a nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike (S) glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2.

Each dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine also includes the following ingredients: lipids (0.43 mg (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 0.05 mg 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 0.09 mg 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, and 0.2 mg cholesterol), 0.01 mg potassium chloride, 0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate, 0.36 mg sodium chloride, 0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and 6 mg sucrose. The diluent (0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP) contributes an additional 2.16 mg sodium chloride per dose.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine does not contain preservative. The vial stoppers are not made with natural rubber latex.

14 CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
14.1 Mechanism of Action

The modRNA in the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is formulated in lipid particles, which enable delivery of the RNA into host cells to allow expression of the SARS-CoV-2 S antigen. The vaccine elicits an immune response to the S antigen, which protects against COVID-19."  page 26.

Note: BioNTech
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioNTech  
(2008- ; hort for Biopharmaceutical New Technologies; based in Mainz; mRNA only)

回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 12-28-2020 16:32:11 | 只看该作者
(2) Fact Sheet for Healthcare Provider Administering Vaccine (Vaccine Providers); Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Moderna COVIS-19 Vaccine to Prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). FDA, December 2020.
https://www.modernatx.com/covid1 ... sheet-providers.pdf

(a) "SUMMARY OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR COVID-19 VACCINATION PROVIDERS * * * The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is a suspension for intramuscular injection administered as a series of two doses (0.5 mL each) 1 month apart."  page

(b) "DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Storage and Handling

Do not store on dry ice or below -40ºC (-40ºF).

Vials can be stored refrigerated between 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F) for up to 30 days prior to first use.

Unpunctured vials may be stored between 8° to 25°C (46° to 77°F) for up to 12 hours.

Do not refreeze once thawed."  pages 1-2.

(c) "END SHORT VERSION FACT SHEET
Long Version (Full EUA Prescribing Information) Begins On Next Page"  page 7

(d) "4 CONTRAINDICATIONS

Do not administer the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to individuals with a known history of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine [see Description (13)].

5 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
5.1 Management of Acute Allergic Reactions

Appropriate medical treatment to manage immediate allergic reactions must be immediately available in the event an acute anaphylactic reaction occurs following administration of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.

Monitor Moderna COVID-19 vaccine recipients for the occurrence of immediate adverse reactions according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines
(https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/)."  at pages 9-10.

(e) "13 DESCRIPTION

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is provided as a white to off-white suspension for intramuscular injection. Each 0.5 mL dose of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains 100 mcg of nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (mRNA) encoding the pre-fusion stabilized Spike glycoprotein (S) of
SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Each dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains the following ingredients: a total lipid content of 1.93 mg (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), 0.31 mg tromethamine, 1.18 mg tromethamine hydrochloride, 0.043 mg acetic acid, 0.12 mg sodium acetate, and 43.5 mg sucrose.

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine does not contain a preservative.

The vial stoppers are not made with natural rubber latex.

14 CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
14.1 Mechanism of Action

The nucleoside-modified mRNA in the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is formulated in lipid particles, which enable delivery of the nucleoside-modified mRNA into host cells to allow expression of the SARS-CoV-2 S antigen. The vaccine elicits an immune response to the S antigen, which protects against COVID-19."  at pages 18-19.

Note:
(a) The URL contains two parts:
(i) Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering Vaccine (Vaccination Providers) Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to Prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), followed by
(ii) Full Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) Prescribing Information.

FDA has exactly the same of the two in its website.
https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download
Thus the Moderna apparently reproduced the same from FDA, or Moderna content was pre-approved by FDA.

For the same vaccine, compared to Note (a)(i) above FDA has a separate "Fact Sheet for Recipients [ie, persons to be vaccinated] and Caregivers."

(b) Moderna, Inc (2010- ; based in Cambridge, Massachusetts -- within walking distance from MIT) has the second COVID-19 vaccine approved by FDA (on Dec 18, 2020). The first and only commercial product of Moderna, the vaccine (mRNA-1273) is made up of single-stranded messenger RNA (mRNA) in a lipid particle. Repeat:
(i) In nature as well as in this vaccine, mRNA is single-stranded (whereas DNA is double-stranded helix) -- this, along with that of Pfizer/ BioNTech, is the first mRNA vaccine in the world. For centuries, killed or weakened viruses have been used; then viral coat protein(s) --with genetic material of the virus -- are used. This time, mRNA for a single viral protein (S) is used, so that human cells may produce the viral protein INSIDE the body, to generate immune response to that viral protein.
(ii) Further the vehicle is lipid particles (that contain the mRNA at issue) that will automatically fuse with cells once injected (the vaccine can not go through mouth, because digestive system will destroy it, the vaccine), in contrast to the commonplace viral protein coat (in part because mRNA contains information for just about one protein, hence no room for protein coat).  

(c)
(i) Boston Doctor Who Had Allergic Reaction to Moderna Vaccine Describes Experience. NBC (Boston), Dec 28 (Monday), 2020
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/c ... experience/2266946/
("Within moments of receiving the first dose of the vaccine on Thursday [Dec 24, 2020], Dr Hossein Sadrzadeh of Boston Medical Center [a teaching hospital of Boston University School of Medicine] said his heart began racing.  'My blood pressure was really down, so this is the time that I knew that this was anaphylactic shock,' Sadrzadeh told NBC10 Boston [10 is channel 10] and NECN [New England Cable News, a subscription-based cable service owned by NBC]. 'My heart rate is up, I'm sweating so my blood pressure is really down. I've had this before so I had my EpiPen and I administered myself.' * * * Sadrzadeh, who has a severe shellfish allergy, was taken to the emergency department * * * Sadrzadeh is the first person to have a known allergic reaction to Moderna's coronavirus vaccine, according to The New York Times. Other vaccines now in use have also been known to cause allergic reactions in rare cases, however. More than 35,000 people [Massachusetts population: 6.9m (2019) estimate)] have gotten the vaccine in Massachusetts as of Tuesday, according to the state's new dashboard. * * * Just over 1 million people in the US had received their first dose of a coronavirus vaccine as of Wednesday morning, according to the CDC, and only a handful of reactions to them had qualified as anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. * * * It's unclear why some people are experiencing allergic reactions after getting the shots. Fatigue, headaches and muscle pain have been noted as the most common side effects from Moderna's vaccine, according to the Food and Drug Administration")
(ii) I am a biologist by training. Looking at the ingredients of the vaccine -- see quotation (b) -- nothing in theory should cause allergy. In allergy, an antigen (ie, allergen) binds to immunoglobulin E (IgE) on the surface of mast cell, which the releases histamine (which causes all symptoms of an allergy). Anaphylactic shock is an extreme form of allergy. With massive release of histamine.

(d) "to allow expression of the SARS-CoV-2 S antigen"
(i) Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se ... drome_coronavirus_2  
(abbreviation: SARS-CoV-2; section 2 Virology, section 2.4 Structural biology: "SARS-CoV-2 has four structural proteins, known as the S (spike) * * * [see illustration]")

Because vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are mRNA in lipid particles, AND or intramuscular injection. I do not know why the former needs special storage conditions.
(ii) To sum up, COVID-19 is a disease, which is caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表