找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 962|回复: 0

First Lady's First Public Comment After Capitol Disorder

[复制链接]
发表于 1-11-2021 11:07:18 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 1-11-2021 15:00 编辑

Melania Trump, Our Path Forward. Office of First Lay, White House, Jan 11, 2021.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/artic ... trump-path-forward/

six consecutive paragraphs:

"Most recently, my heart goes out to: Air Force Veteran, Ashli Babbitt, Benjamin Philips, Kevin Greeson, Roseanne Boyland, and Capitol Police Officers, Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood. I pray for their families comfort and strength during this difficult time.

"I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week. I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me – from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda. This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.

"Our Nation must heal in a civil manner. Make no mistake about it, I absolutely condemn the violence that has occurred on our Nation's Capitol. Violence is never acceptable.

"As an American, I am proud of our freedom to express our viewpoints without persecution. It is one of the paramount ideals which America is fundamentally built on. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect that right. With that in mind, I would like to call on the citizens of this country to take a moment, pause, and look at things from all perspectives.

"I implore people to stop the violence, never make assumptions based on the color of a person's skin or use differing political ideologies as a basis for aggression and viciousness. We must listen to one another, focus on what unites us, and rise above what divides us.

"It is inspiring to see that so many have found a passion and enthusiasm in participating in an election, but we must not allow that passion to turn to violence. Our path forward is to come together, find our commonalities, and be the kind and strong people that I know we are.

My comment:
(a) Since the Capitol unrest, television networks have been preoccupied by it. Having come from Taiwan, I myself is unperturbed: Taiwan after all experienced the same (23-day occupation in 2014). At the time, I thought it (invasion) was morally wrong, that KMT had supermajority in Taiwan's legislature and should be able to pass the legislation (to deepen trade with China) I sided with (due to its free-trade flavor), that the intruders should not be prosecuted for trespass because legislature speaker 王金平 did not want to (executive branch had no say, thanks to separation of power).  
(b) The rest of First Lady's statement is trite. There is no need to read it.
(c) Dailymail.com faults First Lady for placing the death of four "rioters" over that of the two Capitol police officers (Officer Liebengood, 51, committed suicide off duty, on Saturday, Jan 9, 2021).   
(d) I felt, upon watching the video of the shooting of Ashli Babbitt, that the shooting was unwarranted because the police officer at issue could not possibly have felt threatened, and because there were so many fellow intruders around her walking in(to Capitol).
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表