查看: 864|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Vietnamese Lunar New Year Tet, Same as the Chinese One

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 3-6-2021 13:30:32 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 3-6-2021 14:04 编辑

On and off, I spent days on this posting.

Andrea Nguyen, At Tet, You Can Have It Your Way; Along with all the traditions, the Vietnamese diaspora allows plenty of rule-bending. New York Times, Feb 3, 2021, at Food section every Wednesday)
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/ ... lunar-new-year.html

(a)
(i) I was surprised by diaspora treated as singular because both Lexico.com and merriam-webster.com has "people * * *" among definitions. However, the former shows two examples (which Oxford English Dictionary plucked from the Web) that indicate the word is treated as singular (the other can not tell, with the word as an object, for example):
'S.Bhat urged setting up new centres of education and cultural activity wherever the diaspora has moved in sizable concentrations.'
'The south Asian diaspora in the United Kingdom comprises Indians (predominantly Gujaratis and Punjabis), Sri Lankans, Pakistanis, and Bangladeshis.'

Plural of diaspora is diasporas.
(ii) All Chinese characters in this posting appear in written Vietnamese language (until after World War II, that is), and come from Wiktionary. I know as little as you about Vietnamese language.

If Vietnamese words in the NYT article (which did not italicize)  have no corresponding Chinese characters, I will leave them alone (without characters).
(iii) Vietnamese language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_language
(Vietnamese: Tiếng [ultimately from Chinesecharacter for sound: shēng] Việt [越]; is the native language of the Vietnamese (Kinh [京]) people; with phonemic tone; "with subject–verb–object order and modifiers following the words they modify. It also uses noun classifiers [such as ge in 'san ge ren' (three persons)]. Its vocabulary has significant influence from ['primarily': this Wiki page] Chinese and French")

section Writing systems: "A romanization of Vietnamese was codified in the 17th century by the Avignonese Jesuit missionary Alexandre de Rhodes (1591–1660) * * * The Vietnamese alphabet contains 29 letters, including * * * nine [letter] with diacritics, five of which [diacritics, NOT letters] are used to designate tone (a, à, á, ả, ã, and ạ) * * * Vietnamese written with the alphabet became required for all public documents in 1910 by issue of a decree by the French Résident Supérieur of the protectorate of Tonkin. * * * Chữ Hán
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 3-6-2021 13:42:07 | 只看该作者
I have this follow-up posting to write in Chinese language, in part. Regarding
(a) 红烧肉
https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-cn/紅燒肉  
(起源时间难以追溯。其样式与制作方法多变,并无统一烹调配方。中国几乎每个地方与饭店都有其独特的样式风格,配料多样,传统的样式肥肉多于瘦肉。" / section 1 各地样式, section 1.1        台湾红烧肉: "在台湾,所谓的红烧肉一般指的是一种用红糟腌过以后,裹粉油炸的小吃。常见于供应清粥小菜或米粉汤的摊贩。而大陆地区所称的红烧肉,在台湾一般称为 '爌肉'、'焢肉'(台语)、'卤肉' 或 '炖肉' ")  

I do believe these terms used in Taiwan mean 红烧肉. In Taiwan, there is also 红烧肉 to mean the same thing, used by 外省人 family. Country to this Wiki page, 红烧肉 is not fried 炸.  

爌 or 焢 might have the same or similar as kho in Vietnamese.
(b) 红烧肉 in English is braised or stewed port in brown sauce.

What is duckweed in Chinese?  浮萍.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表