一路 BBS

找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 981|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

A Critical Patent to Produce Covid-19 Vaccines (I)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 3-30-2021 14:46:16 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Selam Gebrekidan and Matt Apuzzo, Missed Chances to Share Doses in Poor Nations; A patent control issue; Wealthy Countries avoid prodding drug firms to publish recipes. New York Times, Mar 22, 2021 (front-page top report).
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/ ... -patents-us-eu.html
https://umaincertaantropologia.org/tag/covid-19/

My comment:
(a)
(i) NYT placed the report behind paywall.
(ii) A few newspapers in US paid NYT to publish this report. Yet these reports are not the same, not only short but that words are different.
(iii) The alternate link I supply is complete, down to photos in the print. However, there is one difference: the sectional heading should be "Groundwork Laid," not " 'We'd already done everything'. "
(iv) The last paragraph of this report contains "You can imagine."
Groundwork Laid

(b)
(i) This report keeps talking about a critical patent and the inventor (Barney Graham), but does not say what the patent is about. That is really depressing, me being a biologist. I really do nto care about so called social justice.
(ii) Indeed, even if there is a patent, in US and possibly every other country, the patent is open to the public. So one can read about it and knows what is in the patent.
(iii) However, Google News shows the patent has not been issued yet. Dr Graham’s past patents are all in the public domain, and none of them fits the description (particularly, issued in 2021).
(iv) I always wonder why Taiwan, South Korea or Japan does not do a coronavirus vaccine. It should be simple from biological point of view. I mean, mRNA vaccine may be hard, but an inactivated virus should be simple. It turns out that viral inactivation changes S protein (for spike) on the coronavirus surface, but that was reported YEARS ago.

(c) So, browse the NYT report, keeping in mind that the real deal is in the next posting of mine.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表