一路 BBS

找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1038|回复: 0

'We're Not Old Friend': Biden on Xi

[复制链接]
发表于 6-16-2021 14:46:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Nikki Schwab, 'Let's get something straight, we're not old friends': Biden hits back when asked if he will call Chinese President Xi to 'try to get to the bottom of COVID-19'. Dailymail.com, June 16, 2021
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news ... ot-old-friends.html

My comment: Browse it quickly, especially the first part. Here is the official transcript.

Remarks by President Biden in Press Conference. Hôtel du Parc des Eaux-Vives Geneva, Switzerland.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/brief ... press-conference-4/

````````````````````pertinent portion
Q    In the spirit, Mr. President, of you saying that there is no substitute for face-to-face dialogue, and also with what you said at NATO that the biggest problems right now are Russia and China — you’ve spoken many times about how you have spent perhaps more time with President Xi than any other world leader.

So is there going to become a time where you might call him, old friend to old friend, and ask him to open up China to the World Health Organization investigators who are trying to get to the bottom of COVID-19?

THE PRESIDENT:  Let’s get something straight.  We know each other well; we’re not old friends.  It’s just pure business.

Q    So, I guess, my question would be that you’ve said that you were going to press China.  You signed on to the G7 communiqué that said you — the G7 were calling on China to open up to let the investigators in.  But China basically says they don’t want to be interfered with anymore.  So, what happens now?

THE PRESIDENT:  The impact — the world’s attitude toward China as it develops.  China is trying very hard to project itself as a responsible and — and a very, very forthcoming nation; that they are trying very hard to talk about how they’re taking and helping the world in terms of COVID-19 and vaccines.  And they’re trying very hard.

Look, certain things you don’t have to explain to the people of the world.  They see the results.  Is China really actually trying to get to the bottom of this?

One thing we did discuss, as I told you, in the EU and at the G7 and with NATO: What we should be doing and what I’m going to make an effort to do is rally the world to work on what is going to be the physical mechanism available to detect, early on, the next pandemic and have a mechanism by which we can respond to it and respond to it early.  It’s going to happen.  It’s going to happen.  And we need to do that.

Thank you.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表