查看: 366|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Not a Mini-Me

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 11-6-2022 13:52:48 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 choi 于 11-7-2022 16:30 编辑

Hayley Igarashi, Not a Mini-Me. New York Times, Nov 6, 2022, at SundayStyles section, page 6.
("When you were born, I looked for resemblance of my eyes, my mouth, even the birthmark under my eyebrow. "He doesn't look as much like you as I thought he would," some family members say. Their words are an echo, decades later, of what my mother heard when her half-Japanese baby's dark hair didn't match her own blonde strands. No, you are not a mini-me. But when you grow up, I hope you'll see more than what the world sees and supposes of you — to the generations, scattered across continents, that made you")

Note: Every Sunday for a decade or so, in the SundayStyles section there is a "Modern Love" column that publishes articles submitted by general public, about their own experiences. Some stories are fascinating but most are not. For about two years, in the right lower corner of the column, there has been one small addition: Tiny Love Stories -- in fewer than 100 words. This Sunday's Tiny Love Story is reproduced above. Read the full text above and contemplate words, to see if you comprehend them. The photo that appears in the attachment 附件 at the bottom of the posting comes with the story. Then read my interpretation way below.

My understanding is: At first I thought her husband is surnamed Igariashi. Then I realized the clause "of what my mother heard when her half-Japanese baby's dark hair didn't match her own blonde strands." meant her, not her own baby in the photo. That is indeed the case, though I fail to find information or photos of Hayley parents. "I hope you'll see * * * — to the generations, scattered across continents, that made you." That is "[back] to the generations that made you," not "[forward] to the generations."   Hayley Igarashi graduated in 2012 from "UC Davis preparing to graduate this summer with a degree in both history and philosophy." from the Web. Her partner looks white.
https://catapult.co/hayleyigarashi

blank.pdf

1.6 MB, 下载次数: 0

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表