搜索
查看: 325|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 11-22-2022 14:46:12 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Lisa Sanders, Gut Feeling. The woman was on her third visit to the hospital with severe abdominal pain and uncontrollable vomiting. Why couldn't they find out what was wrong?  New York Times Magazine, Nov 20, 2022.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/ ... rome-diagnosis.html
https://dnyuz.com/2022/11/16/it- ... her-abdominal-pain/

two consecutive paragraphs:

Her neurologist Randall "Berliner asked if she had ever heard of . She had not. CHS, as it's often called, was first described in 2004 in a series of patients from southern Australia who developed nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain after using marijuana regularly. The symptoms stopped when the drug was stopped, and started again if the drug was restarted. As more states legalized cannabis and additional uses for the drug are promoted, the reported cases of this rare disorder have increased. It's not well understood why some have this reaction while others do not.

The woman was amazed. She had never heard of this was disappointed that this medication [marijuana] she found so useful could be causing these terrible episodes. * * * So she stopped. And she hasn't had any abdominal pain or nausea since. * * * And she couldn;t imagine rgar rgus drug well known to reduce nausea could cause the opposite. * * *

Note:
(a)
(i) There is no need to read the rest of this article.
(ii) Ancient Greek noun (I do not know its gender) emesis (plural  emeses) means vomiting. (The noun hematemesis means vomiting blood with accent on the syllable "te.")  
(b)
(i) In case you do, I want to explain something. In pertinent parts, the article states,

"She already had a couple of CT scans of her abdomen done, and they didn't show any abnormalities, but the [CT] picture quality was affected by a nerve stimulator implanted to treat a long history of migraine headaches. * * *

"She preferred instead to see the neurologist who had treated her migraines for the past 20 years. * * * [She] arranged to have a telehealth visit with her neurologist, Dr Randall Berliner, the next day. Her migraines almost completely disappeared after the nerve stimulator was implanted a few years earlier, so she hadn't seen him in a while.

(ii) The cause(s) of migraine is still debated. So there is no standard treatment. Theory and practice (where, how) of implanted nerve stimulator are mot important, because it remain experimental, works only in some. Recall that even placebo works for some.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表