搜索
查看: 375|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Full Transcript of Biden's Interview With TIME

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 6-5-2024 15:36:55 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Read the Full Transcript of President Joe Biden's Interview With TIME. Time, June 4, 2024, 7:00 am, EDT; updated June 5, 2024, 1:46 pm EDT.
https://time.com/6984968/joe-biden-transcript-2024-interview/

My comment:
(a) I did not read Biden's comment about Ukraine, Russia, or other topics. I only search "China."
(b)  only want to bring four consecutive paragraphs to your attention:

Time: "So getting to exactly that point. Pretty much everybody agrees that managing China's rise is the most important foreign policy and national security issue for America and Americans in the coming century. CIA director Bill Burns says the President Xi Jinping of China has ordered the Chinese military to be ready by 2027 to conduct a successful invasion of Taiwan. You said on multiple occasions that you would use US forces to defend Taiwan. What does that mean? Is it boots on the ground? What, what shape would that take?

Biden: "It would depend on the circumstances. You know, by the way, I've made clear to Xi Jinping that we agree with—we signed on to previous presidents going way back—to the policy of, that, it is we are not seeking independence for Taiwan nor will we, in fact, not defend Taiwan if they if, if China unilaterally tries to change the status. And so we're continuing to supply capacity. And, and we've been in consultation with our allies in the region.

Time: "So if I might, not ruling out the possibility of deploying US troops to Taiwan in the case of an invasion?

Biden: "Not ruling out using US military force. There's a distinction between deploying on the ground, air power and naval power, etc.

(c)
(i) "it is we are not seeking independence for Taiwan nor will we, in fact, not defend Taiwan if they if, if China unilaterally tries to change the status."

"nor will we, in fact, not defend Taiwan"   This English sentence is odd, usually not does not follow nor. In other words, an affirmative statement follows nor.
(ii) I read the transcript before going to VOA and RFA websites.

Upon reading the transcript, my impression about the paragraph ""Not ruling out using US military force. There's a distinction between deploying on the ground, air power and naval power, etc." is that Biden means that he might interven militarily, but not necessarily have boots on the ground. That is, he might use US air force or navy only.

(iii) Well, VOA shares the same view with me, but not Radio Free Asia (RFA). The excepts are:

易林 and 魏之, 拜登接受《时代》杂志专访:中国经济在崩溃边缘,美国不排除武力保台湾. VOA Chinese, June 5, 2024
https://www.voachinese.com/a/bid ... -brink/7642782.html
("在台湾问题上,拜登强调,美国不支持台湾独立,但是如果中国单方面试图改变现状,美国也不会坐视不理。他说,他也和习近平明确了这一点。   当被问到如果台湾受到入侵,美国是否会派兵时,拜登说:'我不排除美国军队介入。不过地面部队,与空中部队或者海上部队,还是有差别的' ")

李向陽(台北), 拜登五度公開表態 不排除動用武力保護台灣. RFA, June 5, 2024
https://www.rfa.org/cantonese/news/us-taiwan-06052024032653.html
("記者追問是否不排除在台灣部署美軍,拜登則重申不排除動用美軍,但這跟在台灣 [內] 部署海陸空軍力有分別")

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表