查看: 860|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Migrant Workers See Outside World and Start Dreaming

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 9-8-2011 10:25:53 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
本文通过一路BBS站telnet客户端发布

John Gapper, China's Migrant Workers Expect More. Financial Times, Sept 8, 2011 (column).
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/78d7af1e-d93a-11e0-884e-00144feabdc0.html

Quote:

"It is not hard to see why Li [Feifei, a female migrant worker of 19] would like to leave Fuji Xerox, despite its reputation as one of the [Shenzhen] City's most humanely ran plants, for that world" of attending college and becoming a fahsion designer.

""There is plenty of work for migrants in its fast-growing economy, but their [migrant workers'] ambitions and frustrations are rising even faster than their rewards.

"China is a victim of its success. * * * Ms Li's generation of migrants no longer need to oull families out of poverty. They do not want to go home docilely, having done their job, but to seize a new likfe in the city. The difficulty is most of them cannot" due to Hukou and being priced out by high cost of city life.

Note:
(a) The article says of the young generation of migrant workers: "They are country cousins." Here the "country" means countryside.
(b) The article then says, "In Guangzhou, for example, mig4rants must amass popints for such things as having a college degree and donating blood ('It's like Hogwarts,' one migrant told me wryly0 simply to gaining the right to apply for residency.

I have not read books or watched movies of Harry Potter brand. So I can only guess.
(i) Hogwarts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogwarts
(The Sorting Hat claims that blood purity is a factor in selecting Slytherins, although this is not mentioned until the fifth book. There is no reason to believe, however, that Muggle-born students are not sorted there, merely that pure-blooded students are more desirable to that house)
(ii) In JK Rowling's book Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, "He [Harry] and Dumbledore apparate to the cave where Dumbledore explains that there will be a number of obstacles on the way to the horcrux itself, the first of which is a wall which requires that you should give blood to pass."

(c) SHAN Weijian  單 偉建 (originally Chairman and CEO of Newbridge Capital 新橋投資集團, set out to found PAG Capital)

PAG Capital Ltd  太盟投資集團

--
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表